The Harmony remotes from Logitech are some of the best universal remotes available… when they work that is… I had some trouble with mine and I figured I would share how i got it working… scroll to the bottom of this post to get the answer without hearing my associated story and reason for having a harmony remote.
With today’s home enthusiasts array of various media devices hooked up to the TV a house can easily have 10 or more remotes for DVRs, game consoles, netflix enabled devices, cable boxes, BlueRay, etc… The only downside of them is the somewhat over simplified setup and their price, but once you get past that their activities buttons are god sends for grandparents that might be at your house alone watching your kids. If they want to watch TV… they hit the “watch TV” button… if they want to “watch a movie”… they hit the “watch a movie” button… after the initial setup the remote turns off and on the devices that need to be for that activity and changes and master buttons like play, pause, menu, etc… to the master device for that activity… easy as pie… when it works.
Today I was watching something on netflix, and after the show was over I grabbed the remote to see the screen at the top was blank… I just changed the batteries a couple of weeks ago, so I popped open the case removed and reloaded the batteries only to have the screen on the remote say “SAFE MODE”. No matter what buttons i pressed no command was issued to any devices.. not even power. So I hooked the remote to my computer to try and reload the software to it hoping that would fix the issue, but it only got to about 17% before giving me an error saying the software could not be updated.
This is the solution I came up with to get the remote out of “safe mode” and working again.
After some trial and error I came to the conclusions that I basically i needed to remove the batteries from the remote then plug it in to the computer. Then i started the Harmony Remote software, went to the top of the window and clicked on “Downloads”. Ten I clicked on “Firmware” and followed the prompts to update the remote firmware, then I clicked on the other button above that “software” and followed the promts to update the remotes software and all my device settings.Once that was done the remote was back to the way it was before i got the “SAFE MODE” error.
Hope this post helps if anyone is having trouble with their harmony remotes. Let me know in the comments.